Monday, June 7, 2010

My Godson Ben's 2nd Birthday Party on May 22nd...

and most importantly, his first taste of processed sugar!!!!

Mom and Dad are willing to do things that I shudder to consider, like buying a choochoo train mold and making this cake above...there was also a red velvet cake for the adults...

The Grimms moved into their house and it was pretty bare, so they worked very hard on the backyard...I love this covered area, fair-skinned as I am...notice the Happy Brithday pendant chain hanging from the ledge...another thing Auntie Beth would avoid because of the extra work factor...hey, at least I'm honest!
The guests at Ben's party were Mom and Dad, me; his Aunt, Uncle and cousin Bridie from Las Vegas; and his Grammy and Papa from Montana. There were also a few little kids from the neighborhood and mommy groups...

If you walk along side the house, there is an area for the kids to use the riding toys...and if you follow me to the left,
we have the sandbox...Randal made this sandbox himself...yep, this is the biggest "no way I'd ever do this" project in this blog so far...but the kids loved it...Ben is in the red shirt and hat, playing his little heart out...and he never gets upset about sharing...no screams, no whines, nothing...
My Godson indulges me when I ask for a smile...yep, he loves me...Auntie Beth is such a lucky duck to have so many wonderful kids love her...and she gets to love all of you!!!

Across from the shaded area, there is the pool...safely gated so kids are locked out...yep, Randal built the gate himself too...and look at the streamers lovingly threaded through the gate. Auntie Beth's laziness puts her to shame...but I would've hired someone to build that fence AND given the job of streamer patrol to some other sucker!

Randal's parents Dick and Ardell flew in from Montana and stayed for a few weeks...it was hot outside so we were all tired...and we'd eaten-alot! Randal is a master of cooking, especially with the grill...Need it be said that Auntie Beth does not cook? Wow, this blog is making me realize I might need to get unlazy---alot---if I ever want a kid:-)

Ben is a bit smitten with the little girls...starting young, my little man:-) Here we are trying to get all the kids at the table for singing and cake...it was a bit harder than in CT because everyone was being nice...when our family does it, we just grab kids, pick them up & haul them off, start singing and hope everyone gets their butts into the kitchen...ok, and there is usually a bit of yelling involved! Gotta admit, for efficency's sake, our way is much quicker:-P
Mommy's legs are next to Ben, trying to get pictures of the cake before Ben descends upon it!
Once he tastes that sugar, he will be Auntie Beth's boy for good...SUGAR:-)
Here's Mom trying to get the "2" candle lit...it kept going out because the wick was too short...poor Lurene almost missed the moment because of that stubborn candle...

Both Ben and his cousin Bridie were dressed in Montana shirts because Grammy & Papa brought them on their visit...both of Ben's parents, Randal and Lurene, are from Montana...and even though they both moved to Los Angeles separately, they actually met in Montana! They talk about moving back to Montana by the time Ben is 5, so I just pretend I don't hear:-(

The first attempt to get Ben to blow out the candle...he's the cutest---when Ben sniffs flowers he often blows air OUT of his nose...I think the same was true of him trying to blow out the candle...he didn't quite get the concept that the air had to be pushed hard OUT of his mouth...

The second attempt, when Mommy got in on the action and tried to help Ben with the concept...

The third attempt, when Mommy brings the candle closer to Ben...doesn't he look absolutely adorable blowing on his birthday candle? Wish I could say it worked all by himself but alas...yeah, he got some help...but he looked fabulous doing it!!

Ben's first finger full of frosting...my little boy is now a little man:-) Ben proceeded to embrace sugar readily, asking for another car of his train cake to poke and pinch, eat and get on his face...

After the birthday yahoo, Ben and the girls came inside for some cooldown...

What birthday boy blog would be complete without the facewashing taking place right after the first big mess of frosting and cake?

This is NOT a good photo of either of us, but Ben was experiencing a sugar crash...only after he had come down and gotten blah did I remember that I had zero photos with my Godson on his 2nd Birthday...nice move, Auntie Beth. On a side note, Auntie Tay Tay gave me that black and white dress to wear on my 36th birthday in Hawaii...love it!

We were doing some on the run photo taking...and the photos were pretty bad...I took this one so we are at weird angle...BUT Ben did not want to indulge me in any photos...the two in this blog are the only ones I could get...in sugar's defense, Ben did not get a nap so the ugghhhhh behavior might've been overtiredness and not sugar shock. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:-)
I love you lots and I miss you more-
xoxoAuntie Beth/Bethie/Beppy GBAKYS

No comments:

Post a Comment